Wednesday, February 27, 2013

In the dying days of February...

This is the way it goes with all blogs, right? At least it is for me.

It has been two months since I posted that last one in early December, brimming with so much promise. I was excited that I'd moved into a (sort of) new role at work as we were readying the big release of a new product. I got permission to work at home and out of hours, and I figured 'Well hey. That's gonna free up SO MUCH of my 9-5 time I'll be able to just write whenever I get the itch.'

Two months later after many 10 hour days, cancelled Christmas breaks and working weekends, I'm kinda tired. This new role is so full-on I've barely had a spare minute even at home! It's actually fun and rewarding but it is to the detriment of my creative brain.

So you know what I decided to do? I've been sick the past couple of weeks and after a few hours each day sitting in bed emailing and updating work stuff, I'd give myself a couple of hours of downtime. And then I would just write a whole bunch of crap, and post it on Fanfiction.net without a backwards look.

Oh yes. I'm writing fanfic. I don't even know why the idea came to me but I was thinking of Twilight and how ridiculously Bella handled the whole thing. What if she wasn't a doormat? What if everything else happened the same but Bella called people out on their shit and didn't cry at the drop of a hat?

And so I opened up the first chapter and, paragraph by paragraph, read a bit, wrote a bit. I've only read Twilight once, and the Edward version on Ms Meyer's website (called Midnight Sun) so going through it again is just as horrifying as the first time. The first thing that struck me is when we first meet Bella she's doing this wonderfully noble thing for her mom, so that she and he new husband can have some time together. That's great, Bella! You're a nice girl.

BUT THEN, Bella, who seemingly already had no friends and did nothing more than babysit her mother, moves to this town with her dad who is the sweetest Dad ever. Her dad tells her he bought her a car, and all she can do is wince and ask is how new and nice it is. Bella, who we are told is a big reader, moves her small amount of stuff (where's her ten boxes of books? I would say I have a normal amount of books and even then it took five boxes last time I moved, AFTER a massive cull), and then does nothing more the first day than CRYING HERSELF TO SLEEP and moaning about how shitty everything is.

Bella. Honey. You are nice to your mum, sure. But you are strange and depressing.

Now Edward's side comes in and he starts taking notice of her and realizing through his creepy spy-vision that she is lovely and selfless.

You're lucky you can't see in this girl's brain, buddy. Because she is possibly the most selfish character I have ever read. And I've read 'A Christmas Carol.'

Okay that's enough. I could bag this story out all day. Instead I'll go and write another chapter. Surely my Isobel has to notice that Edward's a vampire soon. I mean, she's a 17 year old girl in 2004 who knows how to use the internet properly.

Oh, uh. It's here: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4539186/ElsieFinch

No comments:

Post a Comment